The Maynard Institute for Journalism Education is looking for an experienced, part-time Communications Director who is a strategic storyteller that wants to elevate our brand awareness through social media, editorials, press releases and media relations. We are seeking someone who has a passion for our mission and can be both a strategist and a do-er. The ideal candidate will embed strategic communications throughout our organization. We seek a proven leader who can manage the day-to-day communications needs of a growing, fast-paced organization while creating and implementing an effective long-term communications plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Communications Director will report to the Co-Executive Directors. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Draft and edit articles, email newsletters, press releases, media alerts and fact sheets
- Establish and drive a multi-channel communications strategy
- Prepare and manage all communications material
- Develop a brand voice and maintain brand integrity across all platforms
- Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, influencers, and industry leaders
- Assist in the creation of digital, video, audio and print content
- Track engagement across various platforms and make data-driven decisions
- Manage a communications budget
- Ensure quality control of all information released
Competitive candidates will have 8+ years of communications experience with a demonstrated track record of building a strong communications program. Experience and familiarity with creating and executing short and long term communications strategies and the ability to “roll up your sleeves” and implement solutions are required. A successful candidate will be personally and professional aligned with the Maynard Institute’s culture. Other desired experiences and qualifications include:
- Keen attention to detail, high quality work and commitment to accuracy and timeliness of work
- Exceptional creative thinking ability and the desire to come up with innovative ways to share our message
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive, approachable, dependable, flexible and service-oriented attitude to meet the organization, partner and board needs
- Awareness of and proficiency with communications technologies
- Experience in stakeholder/community engagement
- Clear and concise communication with team members and senior management
- Strong and confident leadership
- Background or training in diversity, equity and inclusion is advantageous but not required
- This job is part-time with the opportunity to grow into a full-time position.
- While the Maynard Institute has an office in Emeryville, CA, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this is a fully remote position.
- Some modest travel may be required.
- Remote work is allowed during the pandemic and is negotiable.
To apply, please submit a resume, brief cover letter, and writing sample to Maynard Institute Executive Administrator, Alida Birnam at email@example.com. Please include “Communications Director” in the subject line.
About Maynard Institute for Journalism Education:
For more than 40 years, the Maynard Institute has fought to push back against the systemic lack of diversity in the news industry through training, collaborations and convenings. We are creating better representation in America’s newsrooms through our Maynard 200 fellowship program, which gives media professionals of color the tools to become skilled storytellers, empowered executives and inspired entrepreneurs. For more additional information, please visit: https://mije.org.
Salary is competitive and will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered.
The Maynard Institute offers equal opportunity to all, is non-discriminatory, and encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.