Details Trickle Out On Whitney’s Funeral
Author:Jean Marie Brown
February 16, 2012
Kevin Costner is expected to speak at Whitney Houston’s funeral and Westboro Baptist is supposed to picket. There’s lots of coverage linked to Saturday’s services:
- HuffPost: Kevin Costner To Speak At Whitney Houston's Funeral
- The Daily Beast: Cheat Sheets Must Reads From All Over
- The Grio: Was Whitney Houston going gospel in her final days?
- The Grio: Bobby Brown to play Mohegan Sun after Houston funeral
- The Grio: Westboro Baptist Church on Whitney Houston: 'God gave her a voice, she used it to teach sin'
- The Loop21: Whitney Houston's Funeral Guests Revealed
Is forgiveness in the cards for Chris Brown?
The Huffington Post reports on a pick-up line a woman says Chris Brown used. . .
Slate has a post on why the singer hasn’t reached the point of redemption . . .
The Grio points out domestic violence is a bigger issue than Chris Brown and Rihanna.
In other news . . .
The Daily Beast and Loop21 have updates on the New York Knick’s Jeremy Lin.
- The Daily Beast: OK, OK, So Jeremy Lin of the New York Knicks Is on Fire
- The Daily Beast: Jeremy Lin Means More Than Wins for the Knicks
- The Loop21: Don't Discount the Underdog
- The Loop21: Jeremy Lin Added To NBA All-Star Weekend Activities
Slate writes about William Faulkner and Eugene Hoskins, a black man from Mississippi who was autistic and who may have inspired the author. . . There’s also a look at a documentary on a hard-luck football team.
Another point of view . . .
The saga over black hair moves on to Marvel Comics.
Mario Wire also looks at efforts to allow tuition breaks for undocumented students.
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,
Devah Pager - Princeton University
Study: Black Man and White Felon – Same Chances for Hire
Racism and Health:
Understanding Multiple Pathways
Presentation | Discussion Transcript (PDF)
Hudson Institute Debate
Race and Racism in America: Are We Now a Color Blind Society? (video)
Find us on Facebook
From the Research Library
The Structural Inequity Research Guide is designed as a tool for journalists and researchers. It lists links to more than 150 studies that, since 2000, have found racial disparities in the areas of health, education, housing, employment and criminal justice.
Download the Guide (PDF Format)