Media Academy - Online Application
The Maynard Media Academy is a performance-driven immersion program in entrepreneurial leadership and management.
Run in partnership with the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University, the Academy has a track record of helping new media managers across all departments - editorial, sales, product development and production - achieve success in competitive, evolving environments.
In 2013, the Media Academy enters its ninth year of training high-potential individuals.
Faculty includes top media leaders as well as professors from the Harvard Business School. Teaching methods include the proven Harvard Business School case study method, small-group work and collaboration with high-achieving peers.
Training includes two week-long on-site seminars at Harvard and a self-directed online component developed by the Maynard Institute and hosted by Poynter Institute's News University.
The training focuses on three areas critical to taking any news organization to the next level:
- Management tools: communication, conflict resolution and performance management.
- Entrepreneurship: business plans, product development, marketing and strategy.
- Leadership: vision, judgment, drive and focus.
- Ethical decision-making and valuing diversity are taught across all topics.
All participants receive an in-depth managerial assessment. The report is based on a detailed survey taken before they arrive for their first on-site seminar. Their report lists strengths - with suggestions on how to reinforce those assets - and suggests solutions for improvement areas. Areas of assessment include adapting to change, customer focus, judgment, planning, relationship management and how to coach others.
In addition to the application form, please submit:
- A letter of reference from your supervisor outlining your organization's plans for your career.
- A color photo of yourself. If you are accepted into the program, this photo may be used in Maynard Institute materials.
All materials can be sent to Elisabeth Pinio at the Maynard Institute, email@example.com.
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.