Southern California Public Radio
Reporter II #102-14
Posted on:July 9, 2013
Reporter II #102-14
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Salary Range: $28.15 - $42.44
Employment Type: Full Time
Business Group: Southern California Public Radio
Description: Position Summary:
The Reporter will be responsible for coverage of Orange County. The Reporter will research, report, write and file reports for newscasts and talk shows. S/he will also provide material for station's digital platforms and assist with the development of online reporting projects. The Reporter will contribute story ideas and be an editorial resource for other News staff.
• Provide coverage of all relevant beats in Orange County, including politics, education, the economy, criminal justice, health care, the environment, etc.
• Reports breaking news and feature stories
• Initiates, researches, writes, produces, and reports news and feature stories and segments for broadcast and digital platforms.
• Does live two-ways on news programs and talk shows.
• Contributes story ideas and assists in fine-tuning others' ideas.
• Assists other reporters, producers and editors understand Orange County issues and stories.
• Provides additional material as needed for digital platforms, and assists with the development of digital reporting projects.
• Keeps up-to-date on current events (local, national and international).
• Writes and edits copy and continuity as required.
• Acquires sound for production, which includes, but is not limited to, off-site interviews and walkthroughs.
• Cultivate sources; Participate with PIN involvement, as applicable
• May perform public outreach as needed
• Participates on special projects (documentary or series)
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• At least three years’ professional radio journalism experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Knowledge of beat reporting areas of coverage and ability to develop network sources
• Demonstrated radio reporting, digital news and production skills.
• Strong writing and reporting skills.
• Professional on-air delivery.
• Ability to perform a variety of assignments well and completely.
• Commitment to learn and enact best journalism practices.
• Experience in or familiarity with public radio news.
• Ability to use sound, when available, to create scenes that engage the listener and convey the emotion of the story
• Ability to consistently produce timely and substantive reports on a tight deadline.
• Fully competent in use of recording and production equipment
• Ability to work simultaneously on short and long-term projects
• Ability to deliver stories with fully developed on-air style and originality in writing
• Compelling story teller
• Ability to deliver analytical reporting
• Capacity to report complex stories quickly - quick turnaround
• Ability to develop stories with multiple interviews, scene changes, and strong knowledge of subject matter
• Ability to deliver stories authoritatively, competently
• Able to keep up with the state of technology on existing and emerging platforms
• Has independent instinct for story construction, form and content
• Able to generate strong pitches based on research and ideas
• Ability to bring complicated ideas to air with moderate direction from Editor
• Able to seek fresh directions in stories and think creatively
• Able to tackle difficult projects
• Ability to work on broad variety of complex assignments
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Fluency in Spanish preferred. Fluency in other languages desirable.
Reporting To This Position: N/A
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Will travel around the southland
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
o Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Dori J. Maynard's Passing. Announcements:
Dori's Memorial in Oakland:
Monday, March 2 at 11 a.m. at
Chapel of the Chimes
4499 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611
Plans for a memorial service in
Washington DC are pending.
Evelyn Hsu, MIJE Program Director
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.
Find us on Facebook
Dori Maynard tweets on Diversity, Media & More
@JamilSmith The distorted #media depiction of African American men & boys has real life consequences, again. #mediadiversity #Tremaine