Marketplace Morning Report
Posted on:July 18, 2013
Senior Producer, Marketplace Morning Report #108-14
Location: New York considered or Los Angeles, CA
Salary Range: $105,242 - $157,863
Employment Type: Full Time
Business Group: American Public Media
Description: Position Summary:
It’s not just radio! Our mission is to make money, business and the global economy understandable and even fun – and not just in our broadcasts and podcasts. We strive to find creative ways to bring our audiences the news across a variety of platforms, in video, in print and on social media, and we’re looking for a Senior Producer to help lead those efforts.
Marketplace is a small shop with big reach. We want to be the most trusted destination – on air and online – for people looking for ways to understand the world around them. To that end, our leadership team works hard to foster an innovative, collaborative culture, where ideas are welcomed, and risk-taking is encouraged. We’re looking for a Senior Producer who enjoys working in that kind of freewheeling environment, and who understands how to get the best out of people, both for their benefit and for ours. We want to hire a leader who can work as a key player in a small team, and think imaginatively how to source and deploy shared resources to achieve the best work. We want someone who can grow our audiences, by bringing in news ideas, new voices and new approaches to coverage. Someone who can help us lead Marketplace to the next level of excellence in public service.
• Oversees editorial direction and ensures production standards are met.
• Senior assigning editor, ensuring forward-looking, insightful and innovative news coverage.
• Serves as senior quality control staff member for program material.
• Leads efforts in the digital realm working closely with the MP digital team.
• Hire, supervise, train and manage direct staff through coaching, mentorship, performance meetings and on-going feedback. Involve HR on performance issues as needed.
• Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
• Member of editorial management team charged with running Marketplace.
• Works with overnight producer, tech producer and senior editorial team to maintain and improve daily and long-term editorial direction and news coverage.
• Oversees programming pipeline.
• Initiates and oversees special programming for service, coordinating on-air, web elements, and marketing.
• Helps develop and execute strategies to substantially increase audience.
• Helps integrate radio staff to deliver material to web and other non-radio platforms
• Helps develop and communicates the vision for the service.
• Sees and organizes the whole.
• Responsible for holiday staff and program planning.
• Leads recruiting and training; participates in departmental recruiting and training.
• Helps conceive of and implement staff structure to increase efficiency and improve programming.
• Manages budgets as needed.
• Works closely with other departments in the company to maximize show potential.
• Serves as internal and external advocate and “public face” of the show.
• Assists with fundraising as appropriate.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelors Degree or equivalent;
• 7 or more years experience including three years at management/supervisory level.
• Experience in radio news production, particularly news magazines programs.
• Supervisory/management experience is required - experience must demonstrate an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Solid news judgment, including an awareness of general news. Someone who thinks big and can create memorable journalism, but who also can manage the myriad details of daily and weekly producing.
• The ability to think across platforms -- digital, radio, text, social – and understand how each adds to your editorial mission
• Flexible under daily deadline pressure, able to work effectively and collaboratively with hosts and other staff.
• High journalistic standards and a vision of what (s)he wants show to be each day and over the long term.
• Must have sense for the Marketplace style, rhythm, and sound.
• Highly motivated, well organized and flexible.
• Must care passionately about excellence in all aspects of the program. Must have tremendous energy, ambition, and drive to make Marketplace programs even better.
• Strong oral communication, interviewing skills; writing and editing skills.
• Leadership and personnel skills and ability to develop high performing teams.
• Experience managing a team.
• Ability to motivate, train and grow employees.
• Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire and lead the staff.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Digital audio editing experience preferred;
• Knowledge of public radio.
• Knowledge of technology.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Physical Demands:
• Required to move about in an office environment and sit at extensive periods of time
• Required to move about in the community
• Reach with hands and arms
• Balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
• Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
• Moderate noise level
• Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
• Hours: Generally skewed early morning to early afternoon (approximately 7am-3pm,) but variable based on needs of show. Needs to work on overnight shift at least monthly.
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.
Find us on Facebook
Dori Maynard tweets on Diversity, Media & More
@JamilSmith The distorted #media depiction of African American men & boys has real life consequences, again. #mediadiversity #Tremaine