Posted on:June 19, 2014
Marketplace is looking for a Managing Editor to oversee its journalism across audio and digital platforms. This person is the chief journalist, who helps shape storytelling in the Marketplace style both in audio and in print. The Managing Editor oversees a team of editors and reporters as they deliver material to all the Marketplace programs and online. With strong news judgment, the Managing Editor sets an ambitious editorial agenda with an understanding of what makes Marketplace distinctive and how to maintain that distinctive edge in an increasingly competitive environment.
- Lead a team of 25 plus editors and reporters to deliver work that meets the highest journalistic standards in Marketplace's unique style.
- Works with Executive Producer, show producers and editors to set ambitious editorial agenda, developing enterprise coverage areas and ensuring creative journalism on air and on line.
- Make daily and longer term assignments across all platforms.
- Manage workflow to reflect editorial priorities.
- Develop and manage systems to deliver content efficiently across platforms for strong editorial flow.
- Fill in for Executive Producer as necessary.
- Oversee editorial planning for broadcasts and online.
- Hire and lead staff by:
- Creating a culture of constructive performance coaching and regular, on-going feedback.
- Encouraging creativity, invention and productivity.
- Embracing diversity in staff make-up.
- Creating and encouraging individualized development opportunities and plans for staff.
- Involve HR on performance issues as needed
- Oversee news budget.
- Participate with Executive Producer and Senior Producers in editorial management team.
- Oversee special coverage.
- Lead mgmt projects, e.g. setting freelancer rates, editorial ethics policies.
- Work within a team environment, responding to the needs of all Marketplace programs.
- Read widely and remains well-informed about news, current events, business, economics, history and public policy.
- Communicates Marketplace vision, mission, values, and needs within organization, industry and to outside world.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum 10-15 years experience, including 5 years at leadership/management level.
- Management experience must demonstrate an ability to create and enforce staff with high standards, demonstrating an ability to teach, inspire and lead.
- Experience working in multi-platform producing content for broadcast and web.
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure.
- Experience with and knowledge of journalism ethics and practices.
- Ideally have experience in taking a traditional newsroom and training it to think about how to tell stories on multiple platforms.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- A background in business journalism is not necessary, but a desire to tell business and economic stories in a clear, explanatory and fun style is.
- Forward-thinking, savvy, and be a dynamic leader, filling the key number 2 editorial position, under the Executive Producer.
- Leadership skills, from recruitment to coaching, training and development.
- Strong knowledge of workflows across multiple platforms.
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel skills and ability to motivate staff and develop high performing teams.
- Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire and lead the staff.
- Excellence in leadership with proven ability to develop and maintain a positive, diverse, creative, high performance culture.
- Outstanding strategic thinking and planning, decision-making, and communication abilities.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of public broadcasting, and commitment to the mission of APM.
- Knowledge of new media applications for digital distribution, audience engagement, and community networking.
- Ability to lead and manage change in a fast moving environment.
- Excellent and persuasive writing ability.
- Ability to manage projects and personnel, to keep projects on target and accomplishing deliverables.
- Budget management abilities.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
Experience with visual journalism in terms of photo selection, video content editing
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Dori's memorial service, Chapel of the Chimes:
Link to view the entire service at Chapel of the Chimes (1:00:56): http://youtu.be/2oL1IkAnCEU
Link to view highlights from the service (05:24): http://youtu.be/tqoAxZ-ZoN4Please direct your inquiries to:
Evelyn Hsu, Acting Executive Director
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.