Posted on:July 18, 2013
August 1, 2013
Intern, Marketplace (Washington D.C.) #502-14
Location: Washington, DC
Salary Range: $10/hour
Employment Type: Intern - Part Time
Business Group: American Public Media
Description: Application Deadline: August 1, 2013
Award-winning Marketplace is public radio's daily magazine of business and economics. Airing weekday mornings and evenings, it boasts the largest audience for any business program in the U.S. on radio, cable, or network television. To check out information about the program, go to: http://marketplace.org/.
Marketplace has an excellent internship opportunity in Washington D.C. for those who have an active interest in journalism. Marketplace Interns will be compensated on an hourly basis. Parking or bus pass will also be reimbursed.
This internship is up to 40 hours a week and will span fall 2013 (September through December). It is paid $10/hr.
In Washington DC (work with entire Marketplace DC Bureau staff):
• Learn and perform a variety of production, research, and editorial tasks, including cutting tape.
• Write show promos, daily station updates, and other materials.
• Contribute ideas for stories and other editorial material.
• Conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests.
• Database and web projects.
Application Deadline for Winter-Spring Positions:
• Aug. 1, 2013
Required Education and Experience:
• A demonstrated interest in journalism (i.e. produced work for publication, worked at school newspaper/radio, etc.)
• Work study programs can be honored as long as the goals of the program fit in with internship duties and requirements.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Must have the ability to write, meet deadlines, and work independently.
• Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products with the ability to learn new software programs.
• Self-starter with an appetite for learning radio.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Coursework or experience in radio journalism
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions: Moderate noise level, occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,