East Oakland Building Healthy Communities (EOBHC)
EOBHC MEDIA SPECIALIST
Posted on:March 26, 2013
March 29, 2013
Under general direction of the EOBHC Hub Manager, the Media Specialist plans, develops and implements the Communications and Media Relations programs for the East Oakland Building Healthy Communities (EOBHC) initiative; provides technical assistance, media production and designs programming for varied audiences including the Steering Committee, EOBHC grantees, residents and members of the BHC statewide effort; uses
various media sources and tools to conduct outreach and promote public awareness; and performs related work as required.
The EOBHC Media Specialist is located in the Alameda County Public Health
Department’s Health Equity Advancement Unit, and reports directly to the EOBHC Hub Manager. This position provide communications support to the EOBHC initiative which includes developing media plans incorporating the use of video, newsletters, web, social networking, brochures, newsprint and other media outlets; evaluating the effectiveness of communications strategies and modifying plans as appropriate and serving as a liaison to
various workgroups, committees, residents and other relevant stakeholders This position is temporary to permanent.
Major Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors and ensures the full implementation of EOBHC Communications plans; supports the Steering Committee, Workgroups and other ad hoc bodies in the development, revision, and implementation of supplementary communications plans as needed.
- Serves as a liaison to provide direct facilitative support to the EOBHC Communications Momentum Team.
- Serves as a liaison to Building Healthy Communities (BHC) statewide and regional communications programs and activities.
- Collaborates with EOBHC Consultants and allied support staff to identify technical assistance needs and coordinates the provision of training and assistance for EOBHC participants.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with various media outlets, community groups, organizations, public sector representatives and The California Endowment.
- Identifies and pursues opportunities to generate positive media coverage of EOBHC efforts; designs and performs a variety of public outreach and community relations activities, special events and public awareness programs for the distribution of policy and system change efforts.
- Prepares written materials including newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, reports and other materials for dissemination to all EOBHC audiences.
- Promotes awareness of EOBHC goals, projects and programs through regular written publications, radio, online social media, photos and videos; participates in the production and design of slides and video for news media or EOBHC use; coordinates the production of various publications, slide shows, videos, exhibits and other related materials.
- Designs media and program activities to ensure all audiences achieve understanding of all EOBHC policies and system change efforts.
- Develops survey instruments to collect qualitative data and determine communication needs; implements changes to communications plans as appropriate.
- Researches, analyzes and interprets information from the EOBHC Workgroups and Momentum teams to inform, support and implement appropriate communication strategies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The equivalent to graduation from an accredited four year college or university (180 quarter units or 120 semester units) with major coursework in business or public administration, a social science or a field related to the program area to which assigned.
The equivalent to three years of full-time professional-level or supervisory work in the direct delivery of services to clients or the oversight of such services in the program area to which assigned, one year of which must have included program planning and evaluation, or in program administration, contract negotiations, grants management and similar
(Possession of a Master’s degree in business, public administration, social science or a related field to the program area to which assigned from an accredited college or university, may be substituted for two years of the required experience.)
1. Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, and /or commensurate experience as a Communications Specialist, Media Specialist, Journalist, Public Relations Professional, or in related field.
2. Minimum 2 years of relevant leadership experience in an agency providing communication and multi-media services in a community-based setting.
3. Expert in written communications.
4. Intermediate knowledge of video production, photography, and managing online communications channels (i.e. website, social media sites).
5. Familiarity with communications for community organizing and policy advocacy efforts.
6. Experience with and respect for diverse cultures.
7. Experience in public speaking and presentations.
8. Access to reliable transportation and valid driver’s license.
9. Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
10. Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
This position offers a competitive salary with health benefits. This position is supported by a two-year grant project which is scheduled to end in 2015.
To apply please provide a resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and salary requirements to Eobhc@acgov.org.
Please include “EOBHC Media Specialist” in the subject line.
Please submit a plan (2000 characters or less) to use communications strategies to change the narrative about East Oakland. Include tactics which highlight either Health Promoting Land Use, Peace Promotion, Economic Opportunity, or Health Access.
Complete applications received by Friday, March 29nd by 5pm will be considered.
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,