Posted on:June 24, 2013
Colorlines is a Web magazine that publishes daily news, analysis and investigative reporting that puts race at the center of the story. We are part of the Applied Research Center (ARC), a 30-year-old, national racial justice organization.
The Reporter/Blogger reports to the Editorial Director and works closely with all members of the editorial team. The position is full-time, for three months and involves inflexible, daily deadlines. Duties include:
- Ongoing monitoring of beats and major stories as assigned by editors. Keeps editorial team informed about developments in those beats and/or stories week to week and recommends when new coverage is required;
- Pitches and produces news features each week, as assigned by editors, including mulitimedia features as appropriate. Features are reported and written on tight deadlines, typically with less than one week turnaround;
- Works closely with design team to provide reporting and ideas for graphic and multimedia features;
- Pitches ideas for and produces daily news blog posts as needed, including but not limited to coverage of assigned beats and stories. Posts may include both digested content and original reporting, as assigned by editors;
- Represents Colorlines through media, social media and public appearances as necessary, in coordination with the Communications Department and as assigned/approved by Editorial Director;
Strong candidates will have the following skills and attributes:
- At least three years experience reporting and writing on deadline;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Wide knowledge of racial justice and anti-racist theories, issues, culture, and organizing;
- Ability to work with diverse people/constituencies;
- Self-motivated, hardworking and responsible;
- Sense of humor, creativity, energy, and enthusiasm.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a temporary, three-month commitment starting as early as possible after July 1, 2013. The salary is $1,000 per week for the term of employment. The employee must be able to work a flexible schedule to meet inflexible, daily deadlines. The employee does not qualify for any employee benefits except as required by the law. The employee may be eligible to take holidays off which fall within the time commitment.
How to Apply:
We will only consider email applications. Please no mail applications or phone calls.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Applications can be emailed to:
email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with an urgent start date.
The Applied Research Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Feb 13, 2014 - Mar 08, 2014
Feb 13, 2014 - Mar 08, 2014
May 18, 2014 - May 21, 2014
Find us on Facebook
Dori Maynard tweets on Diversity, Media & More
@JamilSmith The distorted #media depiction of African American men & boys has real life consequences, again. #mediadiversity #Tremaine