Posted on:June 24, 2013
Colorlines is a Web magazine that publishes daily news, analysis and investigative reporting that puts race at the center of the story. We are part of the Applied Research Center (ARC), a 30-year-old, national racial justice organization.
The Reporter/Blogger reports to the Editorial Director and works closely with all members of the editorial team. The position is full-time, for three months and involves inflexible, daily deadlines. Duties include:
- Ongoing monitoring of beats and major stories as assigned by editors. Keeps editorial team informed about developments in those beats and/or stories week to week and recommends when new coverage is required;
- Pitches and produces news features each week, as assigned by editors, including mulitimedia features as appropriate. Features are reported and written on tight deadlines, typically with less than one week turnaround;
- Works closely with design team to provide reporting and ideas for graphic and multimedia features;
- Pitches ideas for and produces daily news blog posts as needed, including but not limited to coverage of assigned beats and stories. Posts may include both digested content and original reporting, as assigned by editors;
- Represents Colorlines through media, social media and public appearances as necessary, in coordination with the Communications Department and as assigned/approved by Editorial Director;
Strong candidates will have the following skills and attributes:
- At least three years experience reporting and writing on deadline;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Wide knowledge of racial justice and anti-racist theories, issues, culture, and organizing;
- Ability to work with diverse people/constituencies;
- Self-motivated, hardworking and responsible;
- Sense of humor, creativity, energy, and enthusiasm.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a temporary, three-month commitment starting as early as possible after July 1, 2013. The salary is $1,000 per week for the term of employment. The employee must be able to work a flexible schedule to meet inflexible, daily deadlines. The employee does not qualify for any employee benefits except as required by the law. The employee may be eligible to take holidays off which fall within the time commitment.
How to Apply:
We will only consider email applications. Please no mail applications or phone calls.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Applications can be emailed to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with an urgent start date.
The Applied Research Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,
Dori Maynard in Memoriam:
Dori J. Maynard: A Legacy of Fierce Love (March 3, 2015)
By Sally Lehrman
Dori's memorial service, Newseum:
Link to view to entire service at the Newseum (1:34:45): https://youtu.be/Xl5TJqEcKD4
Dori's memorial service, Chapel of the Chimes:
Link to view the entire service at Chapel of the Chimes (1:00:56): http://youtu.be/2oL1IkAnCEU
Link to view highlights from the service (05:24): http://youtu.be/tqoAxZ-ZoN4
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.