American Public Media | Pasadena, CA
Reporter II, SCPR
Posted on:December 6, 2012
Reporter II, Education #137-13
Location: Pasadena, CA
Salary Range: $58,547 - $87,820
Employment Type: Full Time
Business Group: Southern California Public Radio
Description: Position Summary:
SCPR’s four-person education team covers the front lines of education in one of the nation’s most diverse and populous regions with an emphasis on public education and trends that extend more broadly into how policy, market trends and demographic forces affect teaching and learning. Working individually and as part of the three-reporter team covering K-12 and college-level learning, the reporter will bring strong journalism fundamentals, beat knowledge and curiosity to daily and enterprise reporting that uses creative approaches to engage parents, students and the education community in coverage. Working in KPCC’s cross-platform newsroom, (s)he will report, write and produce on-air reports, post to the Pass/Fail education blog and use social media and web tools to report, engage beat sources and listeners/ users and develop reporting projects. In collaboration with KPCC’s live events team, the education reporter will propose and participate in live events based on key beat issues.
This is a grant funded position.
• With education editor and reporter team, establish priorities and coverage plans for education beat
• Pitch, report and produce daily and breaking news stories and feature stories on news deadlines for radio, web and social media, using platforms as appropriate
• Identify key themes and trends affecting education in Southern California; deliver ongoing enterprise coverage providing depth, context and compelling storytelling
• Provide high quality “live” reports with newscasts and talk show and host 2-ways
• Assemble, edit and mix stories for air
• Work with education editor, online editors and others to generate ideas.
• Assist other reporters, producers and editors with information.
• Propose ideas, topics and guests for live events and participate as appropriate
• Operate production and studio equipment
• Develop diverse beat sources; Participate with PIJ involvement, if applicable
• Produce for website with writing and photography (supplying additional audio, visual material, related Web resources)
• Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• Three years or more professional journalism experience.
• Public radio experience preferred
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Demonstrated radio reporting, digital news and production skills.
• Proven ability to identify and originate stories, report accurately and quickly and meet deadlines
• Demonstrated capacity to use public documents, Internet research and other reporting methods to provide independent material to inform stories
• Strong fundamental writing, reporting and interviewing skills.
• Creativity in using web, radio and social media platforms to convey information, engage listeners and users and utilize the capacity of different platforms
• Commitment to learn and enact best journalism practices.
• Established, or demonstrated ability to develop with minimal training, professional on-air delivery
• Experience in or familiarity with public radio news.
• General and developing knowledge of beat
• Competent in use of recording and production equipment
• Established, or able to master with minimum of training, ability to use sound to create scenes that engage the listener and convey the emotion of the story
• Ability to work simultaneously on short and long-term projects
• Ability to deliver stories with fully developed on-air style and originality in writing for broadcast and web
• Ability to evaluate and analyze reporting and facts to frame stories with strong narrative lines or compelling findings, context and scope
• Ability to develop stories with multiple interviews, scene changes, and strong knowledge of subject matter
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Fluency in Spanish preferred. Fluency in other languages desirable.
Reporting To This Position: N/A
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• May travel at times
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
To apply online visit this link: http://americanpublicmedia.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-376633.html
Dori's memorial service, Chapel of the Chimes:
Link to view the entire service at Chapel of the Chimes (1:00:56): http://youtu.be/2oL1IkAnCEU
Link to view highlights from the service (05:24): http://youtu.be/tqoAxZ-ZoN4Please direct your inquiries to:
Evelyn Hsu, Acting Executive Director
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.