American Public Media | NYC
Posted on:December 6, 2012
December 14, 2012
Intern, Marketplace (New York) #515-13
Location: New York, NY
Salary Range: $10/hr
Employment Type: Intern - Part Time
Business Group: American Public Media
Description: Application Deadline: December 14, 2012
Award-winning Marketplace is public radio's daily magazine of business and economics. Airing weekday mornings and evenings, it boasts the largest audience for any business program in the U.S. on radio, cable, or network television. To check out information about the program, go to: http://marketplace.org/.
The New York bureau of Marketplace has an excellent internship opportunity for students and recent grads who have an active interest in journalism. Marketplace Interns will be compensated on an hourly basis.
This is a minimum 15 hour a week internship and will work through the 2013 spring semester (January through May). It is paid $10/hr.
In New York:
• Learn and perform a variety of production, research, and editorial tasks, including cutting tape.
• Write show promos, daily station updates, and other materials.
• Contribute ideas for stories and other editorial material.
• Conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests.
• Database and web projects.
Application Deadline for Winter-Spring Positions:
• December 14, 2012
Required Education and Experience:
• Undergraduate students who have completed at least 1-year of journalism coursework or have a demonstrated interest in journalism (i.e. produced work for publication, worked at school newspaper/radio, etc.) or
• Graduate students who are enrolled in a journalism program or
• Those who have recently graduated from a journalism program (within one year).
• Work study programs can be honored as long as the goals of the program fit in with internship duties and requirements.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Must have the ability to write, meet deadlines, and work independently.
• Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products with the ability to learn new software programs.
• Self-starter with an appetite for learning radio.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Coursework or experience in radio journalism
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions: Moderate noise level, occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
To apply online visit this link: http://americanpublicmedia.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-376919.html
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,
Dori Maynard in Memoriam:
Dori J. Maynard: A Legacy of Fierce Love (March 3, 2015)
By Sally Lehrman
Dori's memorial service, Newseum:
Link to view to entire service at the Newseum (1:34:45): https://youtu.be/Xl5TJqEcKD4
Dori's memorial service, Chapel of the Chimes:
Link to view the entire service at Chapel of the Chimes (1:00:56): http://youtu.be/2oL1IkAnCEU
Link to view highlights from the service (05:24): http://youtu.be/tqoAxZ-ZoN4
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.