American Public Media | Los Angeles, CA
Host, Marketplace Money
Posted on:December 6, 2012
Host, Marketplace Money #135-13
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Business Group: American Public Media
Description: Position Summary:
The Host of Money inhabits a defining position at Marketplace. (S)he is the voice of Marketplace every weekend. (S)he initiates ideas, and through writing, production, editing and voicing turns them into great radio. (S)he is responsible for conveying Marketplace’s distinctive sound and approach in host copy, news reports and feature interviews. The Host also has other responsibilities associated with hosting a national program reaching nearly 750,000 weekly listeners, including serving as a public representative of Marketplace and APM.
• Researches, writes and delivers on-the-air, weekend newscast and other program elements.
• In coordination with program staff, helps lead decision making on use of editorial material, including interviews, actualities, and reporter pieces.
• Keeps producers informed of changing and breaking stories.
• Maintains up-to-the-minute currency with local, national and international news, especially as it relates to money, personal finance, business, and the economy.
• Hosts and writes Money podcast.
• Actively participates in all Marketplace digital activities, including social media.
• Suggests programming ideas and prepares for interviews. Proposes and conducts interviews.
• Participates in any other production necessary for the program.
• Serves as a public representative of the program regionally and nationally.
• Makes personal appearances for Marketplace-APM stations as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned or requested
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated professional delivery style of national network quality, and in synch with Marketplace sound.
• At least five years experience in the role of on-air talent on radio and/or television.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Capable of delivering a creative and diverse program on a weekly basis.
• Capable of handling tight deadlines with calm.
• Able to produce national-quality programming with sound, on deadline.
• Demonstrated ability to write, edit, produce and deliver live and pre-taped content at a national level.
• Knowledge of and nationally respected experience in broadcast journalism, including writing, editing and interviewing.
• Proven critical judgment skills and ability to make snap decisions regarding credibility, personality and value of material to program.
• Ability to represent Marketplace in national and station promotion, including public speaking.
• Leadership skills and ability to motivate staff and develop/contribute to high performing teams.
• Ability to perform in a consistently clear, interesting, authoritative, friendly and relaxed manner. Possessing a pleasant, engaging voice, superior ear and sense of sound, sense of humor and style.
• Working knowledge of computers and broadcasting equipment including digital audio editing.
• Interest in and knowledge of a broad range of subjects and people; a natural sense of curiosity about the world.
• Interest in and knowledge of personal finance, including retirement, investing, budgeting and the economics of running a household.
• Ability to work with others, under frequently stressful conditions, in a goal oriented, “team” environment.
• Ability to successfully meet deadlines and handle multiple responsibilities under extreme pressure on a consistent basis.
• Wide network of national contacts and ability to secure interviews with them.
• Knowledge of public radio system including its networks, stations, key players and audience composition; a listener of public radio.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Previous hosting experience.
• National name recognition
• Digital experience
American Public Media is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,
Dori Maynard in Memoriam:
Dori J. Maynard: A Legacy of Fierce Love (March 3, 2015)
By Sally Lehrman
Dori's memorial service, Newseum:
Link to view to entire service at the Newseum (1:34:45): https://youtu.be/Xl5TJqEcKD4
Dori's memorial service, Chapel of the Chimes:
Link to view the entire service at Chapel of the Chimes (1:00:56): http://youtu.be/2oL1IkAnCEU
Link to view highlights from the service (05:24): http://youtu.be/tqoAxZ-ZoN4
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.