American Public Media, The Dinner Party Download
Posted on:December 23, 2013
Intern, The Dinner Party Download #515-14
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Salary Range: Volunteer/Unpaid
Employment Type: Intern - Part Time
Business Group: American Public Media
Application Deadline: December 29, 2013
The Dinner Party Download is an hour-long celebration of culture, food, and conversation designed to help you dazzle your friends at this weekend’s get-together. They’re offering an opportunity for Interns to get hands-on experience working on one of public radio’s fastest-growing new shows.
Internships will last up to 6 months. Interns work typically 2-3 days a week including nights/weekends.
These are volunteer/unpaid internships, but you can get college credit.
The Intern will be an integral part of The Dinner Party Download team that provides listeners with all of the cultural information necessary to “win” your dinner parties. This job would be perfect for individuals with a deep interest in current film, music, TV, books, theater, history, fashion and art.
• Sound editing: edit rough drafts of our Soundtrack, Guest List, and Eavesdropping segments.
• Research odd news and under-the-radar stories for hosts to discuss on their "Small Talk" segment, as well as for their appearances on Marketplace and Take Two.
• Record and edit "headline" clip montage to be used in our Small Talk segment. Record and edit our promos.
• Look ahead for -- and research details of -- historical events we could talk about in our History/Cocktail segment.
• Identify potential bars/bartenders to pair with the history in our cocktail segment.
• Maintain our look-ahead calendar -- Identify artworks, people and events coming up in the worlds of film, books, theater and television in order to begin the booking process well in advance.
• Simple sound gathering: Record guests telling jokes for our icebreaker segment. There may also be opportunities to practice “tape synchs” (recording interviews with remote guests.)
Required Education and Experience:
• Broadcast journalism or related majors, or grads
• College course credit is available.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Excellent written communication skills a must.
• Knowledge of some sound editing software (Pro-Tools, Audacity, Audition, DAVID) a must.
• Fluent computer skills with the knowledge of basic Internet & computer standards.
• Ability to work efficiently with limited direct supervision.
• Ability to work collaboratively & effectively with colleagues in multiple departments/divisions.
• Ability to work with changing deadlines & in fast-paced environment.
• Energetic & motivated to serve online audiences.
• Ability to handle tight deadlines & quick turnaround.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• PR experience a plus, as there may be some interaction with PR folks.
• Openness to creating content for web and fueling the expansion of our site.
• Some background with field recording a plus. We'll provide training on how to use our equipment and DAVID editing system.
Reporting To This Position: N/A
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
o Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.
Find us on Facebook
Dori Maynard tweets on Diversity, Media & More
@JamilSmith The distorted #media depiction of African American men & boys has real life consequences, again. #mediadiversity #Tremaine