Eater is seeking a food world reporter dedicated to visualizing the news in interesting, informative, and creative ways. This reporter will work for our national news and reports teams and will be tasked with finding, cleaning, and examining data, experimenting with ways to create interesting and engaging stories on the web, and providing a data-backed perspective to major stories. The ideal candidate has a keen news sense and an enterprising spirit, is comfortable with all manner of data sets and studies, and is familiar with the latest online storytelling tools.
You’re passionate about helping readers explore news and data under tight deadlines. You're a smart, friendly, pragmatic problem-solver, and you’ve worked in a newsroom and understand how they work.
Excellent communication skills are vital, as is a dedication to publishing work which is always of the highest quality, on tight deadlines. The right candidate will be highly collaborative, creative, organized, flexible, and reliable.
You must be able to:
- Know how to tell a story
- Tell those stories as happily with charts and maps and photos as with words
- Feel comfortable with basic charting and graphic tools and the sense of a good data story
- Keep on top of the news, trends, and the work of competitors
- Push Eater into new coverage territories like tech, science, politics, and more
- Work with our product team on smart and visual presentations of major stories
- Work well both independently and as part of a team, and juggle multiple simultaneous projects with varying lead times.
- Be comfortable with basic statistical analysis
- Be comfortable with Excel, basic programming, database systems, and front-end web development
Ideally you have:
- An Intense passion and knowledge about the world of restaurants, food, and drink
- A critical, seasoned eye for news and an aptitude with dealing with difficult stories
- Excellent organizational skills, focus, and attention to detail
- A consuming work ethic; you are what you do
- This job is located in our New York office.
Vox Media is one of the fastest growing media companies today, combining smart content, technology, and distribution capabilities to connect with an audience of 155mm people each month who rely on us for a modern, intelligent take on the world. Vox Media is seven distinct media brands, each reaching young, affluent adult audiences: News (Vox.com), Technology and Lifestyle (The Verge), Sports (SB Nation), Gaming (Polygon), Food and Nightlife (Eater), Fashion and Shopping (Racked), and Real Estate and Architecture (Curbed).
Vox Media is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply.