Reporter II, Business of Healthcare #105-15
MPR, St Paul, MN
The reporter will be responsible for coverage of the business of healthcare, including serving as the lead reporter covering Minnesota's new health care exchange. The beat centers broadly on the money and policy that shape our health care system and access to care. It does not include personal health, public health, medicine or medical research. The reporter's stories will appear on radio and across digital platforms. The reporter will collaborate with colleagues, offer ideas and help shape coverage to inform audiences.
Application deadline: September 15, 2014
• Commercial and government health plans
• Provider networks
• Minnesota's health care exchange
• How the ACA is reshaping the health care industry and the provision of care
• Minnesota's non-profit insurers
• Trends affecting health care costs
• Innovation in health care finance, technology, policy, and business models
• The transition from fee-for-service reimbursement to outcomes-based pay
• Report news and compelling enterprise stories.
• Deliver distinctive coverage of the beat.
• Identify themes, trends, key players and develop specialized knowledge of beat.
• Provide "live" reports when needed.
• Work closely with editors and show producers when required.
• Lead or assist in special reporting projects.
• Cultivate broad base of sources.
• Request, collect and organize relevant data.
• Maintain social media accounts.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
• At least three years of reporting.
• Experience radio reporting.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Desire to dig deeply into stories.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Demonstrated reporting accomplishments.
• Success with database analysis.
• Radio reporting and writing skills.
• Ability to manage multiple assignments.
• Ability to use interviews, documents and public records, Internet tools and social media to gather information, report and tell stories.
• Ability to use sound that engage the listener and convey the emotion of the story
• Develop knowledge of beat
• Ability to work simultaneously on short and long-term projects
• Compelling story teller
• Ability to deliver analytical reporting
• Capacity to report complex stories quickly
• Ability to deliver stories authoritatively, competently
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Relevant social media channels.
• Competent visually.
• Business fluency.
• Conversational in another language.
• Open records laws and procedures.
Reporting To This Position: None.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• May travel at times
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
o Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.