The Opportunity Agenda seeks an innovative Digital Communications Strategist for its New York office. The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab. We are dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity. We collaborate with social justice leaders, bringing communication expertise, creative engagement, and research to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting culture, and policy change. We work on issues ranging from criminal justice and immigration to poverty and economic opportunity.
The Digital Communications Strategist will lead the development and implementation of all online platforms and social media outreach and engagement strategies.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and working closely with the organization's Communications, Development and Law and Advocacy teams, the online strategist will build a vibrant online presence that engages existing audiences, reaches new target audiences, and builds the Opportunity Agenda’s online profile and impact.
The digital strategist will advise staff and partners on best practices and develop and implement a training curriculum for the organization’s key constituents, ranging from grassroots social justice groups and national advocacy partners, to artists and culture makers committed to social change.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- The digital strategist is responsible for maintaining and improving The Opportunity Agenda’s current website, and will co-lead the development of a new website.
- Lead, create and implement dynamic digital communications strategies across multiple social media platforms that advance the mission, goals and objectives of The Opportunity Agenda and our partners in the field.
- Apply strategic approaches and best practices to online outreach and marketing, including identifying target audiences and determining the most effective digital communication techniques for reaching and engaging those audiences.
- Manage, write and edit compelling editorial content for the organization’s website and social media platforms, and insure that all online content is consistent with The Opportunity Agenda’s mission and editorial voice.
- Reshape and manage The Opportunity Agenda’s blog, reach out to guest bloggers, and expand cross- posting.
- Translate complex ideas and data into digestible and compelling language for online platforms.
- Design a curriculum and conduct trainings on social media strategies and implementation for The Opportunity Agenda’s partners in the field
- Design online multimedia content, ranging from infographics and memes to video blogs and photo essays.
- Manage all email outreach and distribution working with CIVI database.
- Monitor, share, and integrate emerging best practices in digital communications.
- Establish and report on metrics to identify reach, engagement, and retention, to inform and guide best practices and improve digital strategy and direction.
- Manages relationships with web vendors and database consultants.
- Collaborate with communication, program and development staff to create and maintain a digital editorial/event calendar.
- Build and maintain project-based websites, and additional platforms as needed.
Skills and Experience
- BA preferably in a communications related field.
- Minimum 4 years of experience managing websites, and designing and implementing successful digital outreach and marketing for nonprofit organizations.
- Familiarity and interest in social justice communications to advance policy and culture change.
- Keen strategic thinking skills and ability to integrate digital strategies as an integral component of overall engagement and campaign strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to translate complex ideas and data into compelling web and online copy, writing in a professional but unique social media “voice” that reflects the organization's branding and mission.
- Technical proficiency in HTML, open source CMS (Drupal and Word Press) and databases, blog platforms, SEO, web metrics software, and visual design programs.
- Mastery of social media platforms and the ability to identify and deploy new platforms as needed.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment,
- Basic knowledge of multimedia editing software such as Final cut a major plus.
- Bilingual skills highly desired, but not required.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in web management and digital and social media marketing and outreach.
- Demonstrated successes integrating social media channels and websites as part of an overall outreach and engagement program.
- Experience in a non-profit environment highly preferable.
- Commitment to The Opportunity Agenda’s mission, vision and values.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a wide and diverse population.
- A sense of humor, modesty, and collaborative spirit.
- Goal oriented and self-motivated.
- Collaborative and respectful work style.
- Solid history of working well with a variety of departments and key stakeholders.
- Ability to work well and collaborate within and across teams.
About the Opportunity Agenda:
The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab. We believe in the power of communication and collaboration to drive lasting change. We collaborate with social justice leaders to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting culture and policy change. Through a combination of communication expertise, creative engagement, and research, we amplify the inspirational voice of opportunity. Based In New York City, The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit organization dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity. To learn more about The Opportunity Agenda, go to our website www.opportunityagenda.org.
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions, or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position will be determined based on experience and skills. Medical and dental insurance are provided as well as short-term disability, flexible spending, and 403(b) accounts. Generous vacation package.
New York, NY
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.