Our internships are opportunities for broadcasting/journalism students or recent graduates to learn the real-world demands of working in an award-winning public media newsroom. We aim to provide a meaningful experience for the intern and SCPR and are seeking interns interested in radio news production, talk shows, digital news, data analysis or interactive news applications.
We'll be hiring four full-time interns for a 10-week stint. The pay is $12 an hour.
Interns working with newscasts or shows would assist with reporting/research/production of those programs, including AirTalk with Larry Mantle (this assignment is fast paced). Digital interns can expect to write articles and other elements for KPCC's website/mobile app. Applicants for the news category should have some experience in radio production and include samples of their on-air work. Those interested in data analysis or news applications should have some experience in those areas and also provide samples.
This posting has an application deadline of March 16, 2016 (10pm PST).
Depending on role, position responsibilities may include:
- Learn and perform various tasks including production, reporting, interviewing, writing, recording and cutting tape.
- Assist with research of story ideas/segment concepts.
- Find and pitch ideas for stories/segments.
- Write content for web.
- Conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests and book interviews.
- Assist reporters or producers in deep-dive projects, including data analysis and document review.
- Report and produce stories for newscasts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Current college student or recent graduate (within 12 months).
- Experience in a journalism environment.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong writing, editing, research and communication skills.
- Ability to manage several different projects at once.
- Ability to manage daily workload efficiently (good time management skills).
- Ability to meet deadlines as assigned.
- Ability to pitch original story ideas.
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word and a CMS.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of broadcasting
- For data candidates, experience with data analysis
- Experience coding apps (for news app candidates)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Interest in a journalism career
- Ability to conceive of, pitch, and execute compelling radio and web stories
- Familiarity with the values/sound of public radio
- Some experience working in a broadcast or newsroom environment
- Knowledge of digital editing technologies
Reporting To This Position: N/A
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
Moderate noise level