News - American Public Media
Location: St Paul, MN, USA
Pay: $31.94 - $47.91 Hourly Full Time
The three candidates selected for this role will have an impressive track record of investigative reporting and will form a new team to dig into important issues. The group will deliver exclusive, high-impact investigative reports that shine a bright light and seek accountability from powerful leaders and institutions. They will report and produce across platforms – on-air for MPR News, online at mprnews.org and may also partner with other news organizations. The pace of the work will vary, with some stories reported individually and others as a team. This role will at times collaborate with the American Radio Works team to create distinctive, in-depth journalism that connects with diverse audiences.
Application deadline: August 26, 2015
• Regularly deliver high-impact, investigative journalism.
• Have a passion for reporting that enlightens the public and strengthens democracy.
• Propose and execute long-term projects.
• Identify and pursue investigative angles in a breaking news story.
• Be willing to play the lead role on a big story and be supportive when your work isn't front and center.
• Cultivate and maintain a wide variety of sources.
• Infuse colleagues with the desire to expose issues.
• Adhere to the highest ethical behaviors and practice.
• Regularly request public records.
• Manage multiple assignments of short and long duration.
• Regularly develop and propose lines of reporting.
• Share data, questions and ideas with other members of the team.
• Support other reporters from across the company with training on public records requests and other investigative techniques.
• Regularly contribute to podcasts, blogs and social media.
• Perform public outreach as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• Ten or more years' experience in journalism, reporting or editing.
• Five years' experience reporting for radio.
• Proven track record of breaking high-impact investigative stories.
• Beat reporting experience and accomplishment.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Ability to deliver investigations that break news and have impact.
• Exceptional critical thinking abilities.
• Exceptional analytical abilities.
• Strong reporting and writing skills across platforms.
• High-level digital audio production skills, including ability to produce in ProTools and/or Dalet.
• Ability to tell compelling radio stories through creative use of audio and storytelling techniques.
• Strong interviewing skills.
• Dexterity with state and federal public records requests.
• High level of detail orientation.
• Ability to work quickly and under demanding deadlines.
• Ability to work methodically, over time.
• Ability to overcome obstacles to information and people.
• Ability to distill complex information and present it clearly.
• Ability to think visually.
• Familiarity with defamation and privacy laws.
• Mastery of many apps/tools commonly used by investigative reporters, such as Document Cloud and deep web search tools.
• Comfort and creativity in use of social media.
• Deep knowledge of a beat or several other topics, such as education or public health.
• Ability to mentor and guide the work of others.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Data reporting and visualization.
• Database management.
• Competency in another language.
• Experience being on camera.
• Experience collaborating with other news organizations.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
o Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions