Female Media Entrepreneurs Chat with TeamMije on #diversitychat
April 9, 2014
For this week’s #diversitychat, the Maynard Institute called on five astute female media entrepreneurs of color. Bobbi Bowman , who founded the McLean Ear, now retired; Tomoko Hosaka, COO of @Plympton and @Rooster; Karen Lincoln Michel, a former top editor for Gannett newspapers now advising a nonprofit startup; Marisa Treviño, publisher and founder of latinalista.com; and Kelly Virella, award-winning journalist and veteran of two media startups.
How to build a network? How to raise funds? How to navigate the particular challenges of being a female of color? They answer all this and more.
Work We <3 | FDP
Instead of spending all our time calling out journalism that doesn't work, we want to find work we like. We'd like to encourage our readers to submit links to content that is moving or challenging and that goes beyond the standard narrative either at the level of form or content. In other words, we want to see journalism that works.
We're particularly interested in work at the nexus of the following categories:
- Please include a comment explaining why the content you're sharing works.
- Comments can be as short or long as desired.
Find us on Facebook
- US-Russia Journalism Teachers Exchange @ The Russian and East European Institute (REEI) of Indiana University
- Assistant Professor - JOURNALISM / Broadcast @ California State University, Northridge
- Assistant Professor - JOURNALISM / Digital media entrepreneurship or digital public @ California State University, Northridge
Dori Maynard tweets on Diversity, Media & More
@JamilSmith The distorted #media depiction of African American men & boys has real life consequences, again. #mediadiversity #Tremaine