Now Accepting Entries for the 2013 J. Anthony Lukas Work-in-Progress Award
Event Date(s):Friday, November 16, 2012 (All day)
The J. Anthony Lukas Work-in-Progress Award, in the amount of $30,000, will be given annually to aid in the completion of a significant work of nonfiction on a topic of American political or social concern. Recognizing that a nonfiction book based on extensive original research often overtaxes the resources available to its author, the project envisions the award as a way of closing the gap between the time and money an author has and the time and money that finishing a book requires.
- Deadline: Friday, November 16, 2012. All materials must be received by this date.
- Applicants for the award must already have a contract with a publisher to write a nonfiction book.
- Applicants should send a copy of their original book proposal, a sample chapter from the book, photocopy of a contract with a publisher, and an explanation of how the award will advance the progress of the book.
- The judges will make their decision on the basis of trying to achieve maximum impact on a promising book project.
- Therefore, their selection criteria will represent a blend of the merit of the book and the financial need of the author. For this reason, the judges will need to know the amount of the author's advance, as well as any other financial support for the book, such as a grant.
- No entry fee is required for this prize.
Follow this link to apply to the J. Anthony Lukas Work-in-Progress Award using their online entry form: http://lukas.jrn.columbia.edu/entries/new?id=8
Lisa S. Redd, Associate Director
Laura G. Tejeda, Administrative Assistant
Columbia University Journalism School
New York, NY 10027
Your tax-deductible contribution will help us carry out Dori's vision of fair, accurate and equitable media for all segments of society.
"No graduate school of journalism, no graduate school of business, no program anywhere, contributed to the news industry what the Maynard programs did." - Donald E. Graham
Donald E. Graham, Chairman Graham Holdings Co.,